Are you sleeping? Are you sleeping?
Are you going through life without really paying attention?
Brother John, Brother John
Brothers and sisters who are experiencing similar feelings or experiences,
Morning bells are ringing! Morning bells are ringing!
Dawn has some insights to share!
Ding, Dang, Dawn! Ding, Dang, Dawn!

Reading the Bible in One Year-Jan. 26

Well, now I know where I get my work ethic from.  Collecting manna!

See I think everyone should work their hardest, but it should come out enough.  That's how it was with gathering manna--"And the people of Israel did so; they gathered, some more, some less. But when they measured it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing over, he that gathered little had no lack; each gathered according to what he could eat."  In other words, the strong who probably could eat more probably gathered more as they were able.  The weak who probably ate less were able to gather less but did the best they could.  I don't think this means that the lazy people got as much as the hard workers, because of the last statement.  I don't think we can all do the same work, but I do think we should all work to our capabilities.

I also think that if we want a day of rest, you must prepare and work harder the day before.  In that way, you are ahead of the work that must be done. "On the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers apiece;....This is what the Lord has commanded." But, you must not try to have more days off than on.  We are to work 6 days for 1 day off. There should be a rhythm to the work done and the breaks taken so that you live in a routine that balances work and rest (and play!)

Sometimes, we get greedy for time-off.  We start focusing on how to work the system.  Or we get lazy and think the work can wait until tomorrow. And it always seems to catch up with us.  "And Moses said to them, 'Let no man leave any of it till the morning.' But they did not listen to Moses; some left part of it till the morning, and it bred worms and became foul; and Moses was angry with them." (Bet God was, too!)

It reminds me of the time that I called in sick when I really wasn't that sick, but sure enough the next day I really was sick, and the work piled up while I was gone!! I paid for it later!! I guess that's why I'm a "make hay while the sun shines" kind of girl.

God, thank you for giving us important work to do. And thanks for giving us the strength to do it!  Now I pray that you will give us the self-control to do it in the way you have set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment